Posts Tagged ‘hat’
(May 28, 1944 – April 16, 2013)
We had a really difficult time with the passing of Cape Breton’s First Lady of Song: Rita MacNeil. She was an inspiration to us and we actually felt like we knew her. You know when you think you are friends with a celebrity but you really aren’t? (hope that’s not just us sounding crazy…people do that right?). Well we considered her a friend and part of our blogging family. Laura, Robin and Rita. Just like Three’s Company or Charlie’s Angels only very, very different.
As many of our zillions of die hard fans know, we haven’t been blogging much lately. It’s hard, when the face of your blog passes away – how do you continue on? We’ve thought long and hard about it and we’ve decided that Rita would have wanted us to go on. How do we know this? Well in all honesty we don’t, but we did think we were friends with her so let us think this too okay?
Here are some of our favourite things about Rita.
1. Rita MacNeil was a feminist. Not just because she was a female. You know you can be a feminist even if you aren’t female. Get your head outta the clouds. The RCMP actually spied on her and a bunch of other female activists in the 1970’s to try to understand the new generation of women who shunned traditional female roles and fought for for equal pay, sex education in schools and access to abortion. Go RITA!!! Read more about this here.
2. She was on an episode of Trailer Park Boys
5. Rita made her family laugh even after her passing. In her will she wrote, “Upon my death, I would want to be cremated immediately, my ashes to be placed in my tea room teapot. Two, if necessary,”.
Her daughter Laura Lewis said, “My mom loved to laugh and she had a wonderful sense of humour. She showed us that humour and laughter is a wonderful coping mechanism in hard times.”
WE TOTALLY AGREE RITA!!!! With that being said, the blog must go on!!
Thank you Rita for all that you have done. You are missed every single day.
Did you know that it has been scientifically proven that if you are born on (or around) a thursday you are more 20x more likely to have abnormally large ears? Well it’s (partially) true. That being said…here is your funny hat for thursday. I actually think elephants are pretty cool too. Do you like elephants or do you like hats?
Okay big news. We are officially the coolest people ever. We’ve decided that since we are growing in popularity (1 trillion views a day, no biggie) that we should start interviewing Canadian Celebrities who we think are pretty awesome. And The Arkells front man, Max Kerman, was the first to respond! Thanks Max.
The Arkells formed in Hamilton a while back (formerly known as Charlemagne), and have been rising in popularity since the release of their kick-ass first album, Jackson Square, in 2008. And to top it off, they won a Juno award for Best “New group of the Year” this past May. We were lucky enough to catch them at the Burlington Sound of Music Fest where they put on a stellar performance, followed by an encore of one of my all time favourite motown songs “Aint too proud to beg”.
So in short, we think they are great and you should too!
Check out Max’s answers below!
1) What is your favourite 90’s sitcom?
Hang Time/City Guys
2) Do you own any music by Rita MacNeil?
3) Do you have any nicknames?
Lately my fiend Julian has been calling me “Moon” because apparently, “I’m not the sun” – reaaallllly bad Arkells joke.
5) Do you have a favorite hat? If so, please describe or send us a photo of you wearing said hat.
it’s a Milwaukee Brewers New Era Cap, but their vintage logo. see here:
6) Do you have any hidden talents? If so, please describe, or send us a video of you demonstrating said talent whilst wearing your favourite hat mentioned in question 5.
i dont have any video capabilities, but i’m a pretty good at playing 21 basketball. I will challenge anyone.